Paris (AFP) – President Emmanuel Macron wants a sixth extension of France’s state of emergency since the Paris attacks of November 2015, his prime minister said Wednesday, adding that the terror threat “remains very high”.
The new president, elected on May 7, also wants legislation to bolster the powers of the security forces, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said, two days after the Manchester concert suicide bombing that claimed 22 lives.
“France and the United Kingdom are fighting the same enemy,” Philippe said after a meeting of his defence council. “The terrorist threat remains, in Europe, in our two countries, at a very high level.”
Macron is seeking a new extension of the state of emergency, which expires on July 15 after being extended “to preserve our democracy” — referring to France’s recent presidential vote and coming legislative elections.
The president’s office said earlier that he was seeking to extend the state of emergency until November 1.
The measures allow security forces to monitor suspects and carry out searches without warrants, place suspects under house arrest, and ban public gatherings.
They were first imposed after the worst-ever terror attacks on French soil struck Paris on November 13, 2015, leaving 130 people dead.
Leave a Reply