Ismail Haniyeh, the Hamas chief, said on Sunday that the battle with Israel is “not over” although the new wave of violence in the Gaza Strip is over.
Haniyeh made the remarks after he gave his condolences to the Abu Malhous family which lost eight of its members in the last round of violence between Israel and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad.
“Our victory in the previous round is not counted by the number of the fired rockets, nor by the losses sustained, but by the fact that resistance has completely paralyzed the entity (Israel) during the escalation,” he told reporters.
Last week, a new wave of violence broke out between Israel and Gaza’s militant groups after Israel bombed the house of Baha Abu al-Atta, a senior Islamic Jihad commander, killing him and his wife.
In response, the militant group fired barrages of rockets into Israel, before Israeli war aircraft retaliated by launching airstrikes on Gaza, killing 35 Palestinians including women and children.
On Thursday, Egypt brokered a cease-fire between the two sides, which remained fragile as several more rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel and Israeli war aircraft fired back.
Leave a Reply